Old Bag Of Bolts

Found in the December 1942 issue of Air Force, the official service journal of the US Army Air Forces (formerly the Air Forces News Letter)…

An Old Bag of Bolts

The saga of a globe-trotting B-24

by Major Ben H Pearse, Air Transport Command, USAAF

She was blessed with an assortment of names. To many she was Old ’76. Some called her Red Cap and others The Grayy Train because she carried so many important personages to the four corners of the earth. But the name Old Bag of Bolts seemed to fit her best.

A charmed life

Officially she was just A/C Serial Number 40-2376, a B-24 airplane with a history all her own, as can be vouched for by the scores of men, women and children whose lives she saved – ferry pilots in the North Atlantic, combat crews and refugees in the South Pacific.

B-24A 40-2376 Old Bolts
Soldiering on… A nice portrait of Old Bag of Bolts in flight, and not looking too worse for wear – so presumably before December 1941. (USAF)

It is anybody’s guess what the enemy might have called her. But Old Bolts seemed to have a charmed life while she was trucking precious cargo all over the Pacific combat zone in a dangerous game of hide and seek with Japanese aircraft during those first hectic days of war.

Squat and lumbering on the ground, she would waddle up to the head of a runway like a duck out of water. But once her ponderous landing gear was tucked away she was a creature transformed, manoeuvring her big hulk with the lightness of a toe dancer.

Here, there and everywhere

When Bolts was turned over to the Ferrying (now Air Transport) Command one day last year1, months before Pearl Harbor, she had already cut her eye teeth on dozens of missions. She had reached middle age for a plane of her type, but it was just another case of life beginning at 40.2

As a Ferrying Command ship, Bolts had no regular run. Home was any place she plumped her wheels down. And it was here, there and everywhere on short notice. Her crews had uncalled-for laundry all over the globe. Their baggage included fleece-lined clothing and boots for the Arctic, shorts and mosquito boots for the tropics.

Another Ferrying Command B-24A - maybe even Old Bolts, but just nine in the USAAF's 1941 fleet. The large Stars & Bars on the nose and topsides identified the still neutral US ships, despite their British camouflage. (USAF)
Another Ferrying Command B-24A – maybe even Old Bolts, but just nine in the USAAF’s 1941 fleet. The large Stars & Bars on the nose and topsides identified the still neutral US ships, despite their British camouflage. (USAF)

Bolts knew what it means to labor along through the heavy fog and mist of the North Atlantic burdened down with tons of ice. On the South Atlantic run her paint blistered under the equatorial sun; her motors choked through dust storms and wallowed through thunder squalls where St.Elmo’s fire played about the leading edges of her wings and zigzagged eerily across the windshield.

Her crews ate quinine instead of candy as she shuttled back and forth from Washington to Cairo over steaming African jungles and shimmering desert sands. Now and then they would zoom her low and let her chase herds of giraffe to break the monotony. With little more than a wrench and a screwdriver to work with, mechanics would jump out almost as her wheels touched the ground, then sweat in the torrid shade of her wings to change a cracked exhaust brace or broken stack, replace an oil valve, change spark plugs, service the oleos and clean the strainers.

So thoroughly did the factory workers who put Old Bolts together do their job, and so thoroughly did her own mechanics sweat, that her pilots were able to report at the end of each leg of each flight, under the heading of ‘Mechanical Difficulties’, the sweet monosyllable ‘None’.

Hard, clear ice

Not that Bolts didn’t have her moments. Back before her South Atlantic and South Pacific adventures – on one trans-Atlantic round trip to the United Kingdom, for instance. She held ferry pilots as passengers and the trip was routine until two hours out of Montreal on the return hop.

A different Ferry – YB-24, Serial 40-0697 – still wearing her ‘meatball’ insignia at San Diego, before being delivered to the RAF as AM259, then BOAC as G-AGCD. (USAF)

From landfall on the coast of Labrador there had been intermittent, moderate icing of the rime type. Then things began to happen. Without warning, the rime crystals changed to hard clear ice, formed from large, supercooled rain drops.

Bolts was labouring. Second Lieutenant C. W. Dun, co-pilot, turned on the de-icer fluid for her props and the boots on the leading edges of her wings and tail, but the altimeter needle kept sinking. First Lieutenant James W. Anderson, pilot, pushed forward the throttles as the needle continued to turn slowly downward.

At last, when the throttles were wide open, the needles stopped. Dean and Anderson breathed a sigh of relief.


The coating of ice, visible with a flashlight out the side windows, wasn’t getting any thinner. Anderson decided to turn around and try to get out. Bolts reacted sluggishly to the controls. It was like travelling down stream in a heavily loaded canoe, but she made it without losing any of her skimpy altitude. Then, for four hours, Bolts was lost.

Second Lieutenant A. H. Anders. navigator, kept looking for a break in the white mist that would give him a chance to get a fix. Staff Sergeant James A. McVicar, radio operator, listened in vain through the sputtering static for a signal that would give an inkling of their course. The Northern Lights had been acting up; sometimes they interfered with reception, sometimes they didn’t. Now. of all times, they made his earphones sputter like a hamburger stand on circus day. He couldn’t raise a soul.

The passengers in the bomb bay knew well what was going on. If that first long gradual turn wasn’t enough of a tip-off, the crashing of hunks of ice thrown off the propellers against the fuselage behind them left no doubt in their minds. Then the utter blackness of their frigid cell was broken by a shaft of light and a cheerful voice from the pilot compartment forward: ‘Everybody put on your parachutes.’

’Hell yes, it will help’

Staff Sergeant D. D. Greenwalt, engineer, watched the dials on the panel before him for the flicker of a needle that would tell him that Bolts was giving up. The ice built up on the engine cowls until it reached the arc of the props and was knocked back inside, but the carburettor stayed out of the danger zone. The de-icing system worked to perfection. As the ice built up on the tail surfaces, Old Bolts would shake herself all over, but her de-icer would break it loose and all would be smooth for two or three minutes. Meanwhile, her four motors roared on in unison with never a conk or sputter.

XB-24B Cockpit
Cockpit of the XB-24B (taken in 1945) giving a good idea of Old Bolt’s front office, where her crew spent so many hours. (USAF)

Finally, 15 hours after a takeoff that seemed a year away, Lieutenant Anders sped a patch of dark sky and three beautiful stars. He fingered the thumb screws of his octant, herded the errant bubble between the hairlines of the artificial horizon, and quickly figured on a scratch pad before him until he had a line to draw on his chart. He couldn’t tell where he was along that line without a second fix that would give him another line to intersect the first; then X, the intersection, would mark the spot, their position. But the break in the clouds was gone now. He waited, eyes glued to that little glass hatch overhead.

The door to the bomb bay opened and Sergeant McVicar appeared, climbing over ferry pilots packed in like sardines. There had been a break in the radio fog, too, and he had a bearing. Would it help?

‘Will it help? Hell yes, it will help.’

On through the darkness

With his protractor, Lieutenant Anders marked off 191 degrees true from _________ [most likely Goose Bay, Newfoundland] and drew a line that intersected his first line. He measured carefully – 120 miles NNW of LR in Newfoundland – then leaned over and tapped Lieutenant Anderson on the shoulder.

‘Sir, you are now over Labrador flying straight for the Atlantic Ocean. A course of 169 degrees should get you to LR in about two hours.’

Lieutenant Anderson nodded without turning around and bore down heavily on the wheel. The ailerons, elevators and rudder on Old Bolts were frozen again, as they had been intermittently for the past four hours, but after some tugging at the controls Old Bolts slogged around like an obedient dray horse and turned her pug nose towards LR. Pulling back on the controls would not raise her nose an inch, but her four motors chugged on through the darkness until she settled herself gently on the mile-long runway at LR.

No sooner had Bolts rolled to a stop than goggle-eyed ground crews began arguing whether her coating of ice – two to three inches broken off by the de-icer boots – weighed one, two or three tons.

Pearl Harbor attacked

Consolidated XB-24
The original XB-24 shows off its highly efficient Davis wing, which contributed so much to the bomber’s incredible range. (USAF)

But Bolts had tougher flights than that before her. Her instructions, to be exact, came in a recorrected copy of Operations Order No. 163. That was December 5,1941. She subsequently covered nearly 150,000 miles on the grind – it was really one continuous flight and her engines hardly ever cooled until the very end. Time for her 25, 50 and 100 hour checks flew past unnoticed, all because of the scribbled note that fluttered in the radio operator’s hand as he dashed out to Bolts at Trinidad.

‘Pearl Harbor attacked by Japanese at 0728,’ the note read.3

The name of Ambassador William C Bullitt headed the list of passengers as Old Bolts roared out over the Caribbean. But famous names were soon to become commonplace with Bolts. At Cairo, on the hop going over, a party of high-ranking officers boarded her for an emergency mission to Australia. Then she was loaded down until her sides were about to pop with ammunition and scores of other items badly needed in a hundred spots in the East Indies.

With 100 feet to spare

Maps were scare, good ones, anyway. First Lieutenant Ben Funk, the pilot, picked up some information from a Dutch pilot at Karachi, but he still wasn’t prepared for the short runway at Calcutta. It was marked ‘1,000 yards’ on his map – barely enough for a B-24 loaded until her tyres bulged – but actually it was only 760 yards. Somehow, with plenty of brakes, Lieutenant Funk and Old Bolts managed it – with 100 feet to spare. To get off that runway, Bolts had to leave some gas behind.

On to Rangoon, which the Japs were bombing daily, then to Bandoeng in Java, where the Dutch made quite a fuss over Bolts. They had never seen anything like her 28-ton body close up before. In fact, she was such an unfamiliar sight that an Allied plane looking very much like her had been fired on by Dutch anti-aircraft less than a half-hour before. But Bolts came in without difficulty. (The other ship went to Singapore.)

At Soerabaya, the next day, Major General Lewis H Brereton and Major General George H Brett were taken aboard Old Bolts for a 10,000 mile inspection trip, 3,600 miles of it in a one-day flight from the west coast of Australia to Sumatra.

B-24 attacks Nauru
A more familiar view of the B-24 – with over 600 miles of range on the B-17, it could prosecute the war over vast distances. Here, the US 7th AF attacks the remote Pacific island of Nauru. (USAF)

Things had to be right

There was great need in the Indies for maintenance personnel to service the B-17s that had come in. Bolts was ordered to go from Australia up to the Philippines and bring out as many maintenance personnel as possible. That was late January. The ground crews in the Philippines had been removed from Luzon to a secret airport on Mindanao. Japanese-controlled Davao was only 100 miles away. It was a ticklish job, flying in at night, picking up the crews, and getting out unseen. Bolts had no armour, no self-sealing tanks, and only a few machine guns for protection.

Staff Sergeants Leo Zulkowski and Frank Suyko worked all day on Bolts, checking and rechecking for the afternoon takeoff. The motors had long-sinced passed the 400 hour mark. From Australia to Mindanao and back was 3,600 miles, almost all of it over open water. Things had to be right.

Old Bolts made the trip without incident, although Lieutenant Boselli had to change course five times to avoid Jap-controlled areas. During the last lap of the flight, Captain Hewitt T Wheless, who had flown every mile of the coast in his B-17, stood between Lieutenant Funk and First Lieutenant Charles Bowman, co-pilot, to guide them to the secret airfield. Bolts brought out 25 mechanics in her bomb bay.

Luck was with Bolts

The attack on Broome
A B-24A (either #40-2373 or -2374) burns on the ground at Broome, Australia, during the raid on March 3rd, 1942. A second B-24, 40-2370 was shot down while taking off. All on board were killed. (AWM)

About a week later, Bolts was off for Rangoon with General Sir Archibald Wavell aboard. The Japs had raided a field nine miles from Rangoon a half hour before her arrival. Pilot Funk decided to go to a satellite field in Burma to escape a possible follow-up attack. Luck was with Bolts. That night the Japs raided Rangoon three times. The return to Java with General Wavell was easy.

Singapore fell and the Japs began their first raids on Java. The raids kept Bolts on the alert, staying away from her field while the Japs strafed it. When the air raid alarms came, Bolts would lumber out to the runway, take off, and fly south over the water and wait for the all clear to be given.

Then Bolts was ordered back to Darwin, departing February 19, the day of the big Jap raid. About two hours out of Darwin she got radio information warning her not to come in so she landed a few hundred miles to the south, waited, and then came into Darwin shortly after the attack.

When the Japs went to work in earnest on the invasion of Java, Bolts was called upon for evacuation work. Twice she went back into Java from Darwin, brining out 20 evacuees each time. Luck continued to ride with Bolts. The day after she left Broome, Australia, with the last lot of passengers she had taken out of Java, Broome suffered a heavy raid. After it was over she went back into Broome under cover of night to bring out personnel.

Back to the Philippines

Bolts made a second trip to the Philippines. This time she took in sorely needed supplies for the wounded who had escaped fallen Bataan and Corregidor. In addition to her crew of seven, she brought out 30 officers and men from that secret airfield on Mindanao, including Lieutenant John Bulkeley of Navy PT boat fame.

That was her last trip for Ferrying Command. Within a few days her crew was called back to the States and Bolts was turned over to the Commander of the Southwest Pacific. When Lieutenant Funk and Bolts parted company they had been together nearly 400 hours.

Bolts made one more daring trip after that, back to the Philippines in another rescue attempt. It was her last.

Out of gas

B24 Location
A long way from home… The island of Ju, a remote spec in the SWAPO and Old Bolts’ last resting place. For all I know, she’s still there. (Loc: 0º19’01.5″S 130º08’52.8″E)

The gas load gave Bolts only a few minutes to locate the Mindanao airfield. She circled overhead trying to get a signal through. The Japs were everywhere; perhaps they had taken the field. Bolts didn’t make contact in the darkness. She headed back toward Australia.

But Bolts couldn’t make it back with the remaining fuel. She headed towards an island for an emergency landing. Her position was radioed to aid in the rescue of her crew.

Then Bolts gave out of gas. She sat down in the water a few hundred feet off shore. After more than 600 hours her motors sputtered for the first and last time. And then only because she lacked fuel.

Members of her crew swam to safety and later were rescued by a submarine. Beyond saving was Aircraft Serial No. 40-2376.

They don’t hand out awards for airplanes, and we don’t mean to get sloppy sentimental over a big hulk of steel, but in our books Old Bag of Bolts went down with a Congressional Medal of Honor pinned to her fat chest.

B24A Bag of Bolts
Od Bag of Bolts – B-24A #40-2376 – built by Consolidated at San Diego in 1941, delivered to the USAAF Ferrying Command mid-1941, lost May 5th, 1942. (US Air Force via wikipedia)

Some extra info

  1. USAAF Ferry Command was established on May 29th, 1941 under the command of Brigadier General Robert Olds (father of WW2 triple ace, later Brig. Gen., Robin Olds.) Old Bolts would have been assigned very close to this date. Ferrying Command was re-organised into a new Air Transport Command from the end of June, 1942.
  2. This is a curious remark: The USAAF received all of it’s first nine B24As – the four-engined backbone of Ferrying Command – new from Lindbergh Field, between June 16th and July 10th, 1941. The serial numbers of these nine ships were in the range 40-2369 to 40-2377, making Old Bolts the eighth and second-last to be delivered. So she was hardly middle-aged, and no-one could have known what constituted ‘old age’ for the relatively new B-24 type anyway.
  3. Bolts shouldn’t even have been in Trinidad on this day – she should have been at Hickam Field, Hawaii. She was one of two aircraft assigned a super-secret long-range mission to photograph Japanese strongholds at Truk and Jaluit. (Was this the ‘Operations Order No.163’ mentioned above?) Old Bolts and 40-2371 left Hamilton Field, Sacramento CA for Hawaii on December 4th, but Bolts turned back with a mechanical problem.
    #2371 arrived at Hickam on December 5th and was waiting to have guns fitted when the Japanese arrived on the morning of the 7th. She was reputedly hit by the first stick of bombs dropped on Hickam’s apron, making her the first US aircraft destroyed by the Japanese in WW2.
    Without her ever-attendant luck, Old Bag of Bolts would likely have been the second.

15 thoughts on “Old Bag Of Bolts

  1. Proof once again that it’s better to be lucky than good. Of course, there are countless stories of that ilk from the second world war. And to think, we stress out today about a little weather here or there. I can’t imagine doing that while lost for 10+ hours and then trying to weave your way through enemy territory to what is, hopefully, still a friendly landing field. That airplane flew a lifetime in the course of a single year. Amazing…

    1. As always, I think 90% of their luck was hand-made – but man, they really rode that other 10% hard! It only occurred to me after I published this story – they were in Sacramento on December 4th, and getting ready to depart Trinidad at about midday on the 7th. And that was their peacetime rate of operations. Those guys were bold beyond compare.

  2. An incredible story of luck and determination. It also goes to show the reliability of the old B24. Not always the easiest to get out of it certainly was an old war bird. She was worthy and very deserving of a medal of honour.

    1. Yes, I can’t help feeling the B24 has been somewhat eclipsed by the B17 men – but I’m starting to understand why those who flew in Liberators loved them just as much.

  3. Fascinating! Since B-24s are usually put down in relation to B-17s I love hearing about how they made it through with flying colors. (No pun intended.) It was very fun to read this post.

  4. Proud to say Alvin Mueller was my stepfather
    Hell of a pilot
    DSC SS DFC PH survived the war and quit flying
    Deptuty commander 499th BG
    Flew B29 ‘s and bombed Japan
    Passed away peacefully in the late 80s

    1. Thanks for reaching out Jim. “Hell of a pilot” is right! As far as I’m concerned, the kind of foresight and planning he showed is the gold standard of pilotage. Where he couldn’t save his aircraft, he saved his crew.

  5. My grandmother’s cousin, Ted S. Faulkner, was the pilot of 40-2371, the third B24A ever made, and the one destroyed at Pearl Harbor. Unlike Watkins, who was assigned 40-2376 for the recon mission, 40-2371 was Ted’s plane that he had been using in Ferry Command. Ted later went on to fly B17’s and then become the commander of the 468th BG in India on B29’s when the B29 he was piloting, named ‘Lethal Lady’ (not his plane as he was the commander), went down on Nov 5,1944 (likely an engine fire).

    1. Hi Colin. Thanks for getting in touch. It is always so worthwhile to make these connections between the aircraft, the history and, of course, those that gave so much in service. Best wishes.

      1. In the narrative above, you refer to “Operations Order No. 163”. Do you know where i can find a copy of that order and what did it say?

      2. Hi Colin,
        Short answer: No I don’t, but the US National Archives would be the logical place to start.
        The fact that Operations Order No.163 is even quoted in the article would indicate it was reasonably well-known (amoung USAAF personnel, anyway) when this story was first published in December 1942.
        I have done some digging and found some interesting bits of information though. First, from ‘7 December 1941: The Air Force Story’, Arakaki and Kuborn, 1991, Appendix C, p. 156:
        “B-24A 40-2371 was part of the 44th Bomb Group assigned to the 1st Photo Group, attached to Ferry Command and had flown to Hawaii from Russia through the Middle East, Singapore, Australia, New Guinea and Wake island. It arrived at Hickam Field on 5 December to have guns installed prior to continuing on to the Philippines. Problems were encountered installing the weapons and it was still at Hickam the morning of the attack. The aircraft was assigned to the Philippines to fly reconnaissance missions over Japanese installations in the Marshalls and Carolines.”
        ‘The Army Air Forces In World War II, Vol.1′, Craven and Cate, 1983 rounds out the story on pages 189-190:
        “During the final days of November…British officials in Singapore suggested that the asso- ciated powers send their own aircraft to photograph all the Japanese- mandated islands, the coast line of French Indo-China, and other areas occupied by Japan. The War Department, promptly approving the idea, notified General MacArthur on 26 November that two B-24’s equipped for high-altitude photography would depart for the Philip- pines within forty-eight hours. T h e crews were to fly at high altitude and to avoid Japanese planes, but they were to “use every possible means of self-preservation” if attacked by any aircraft. The specific mission of the B-24’s was to photograph Jaluit in the Marshalls and Truk in the Carolines, and to obtain as much information as possible on the location and strength of military and naval installations. Genera1 Brereton notified officials of the Royal Australian Air Force at Port Moresby to expect the arrival of the B-zq’s, while General Short in Hawaii was given details of the mission by the War Department. For a while it appeared that American forces in the Pacific would soon have firsthand information and phorographs of Japanese naval concentrations, but the B – q 7 S were delayed in departing from the United States. Within a few days the War Department expressed fear that the mission was impracticable because of the distance to be flown. The mission was not canceled, however, and one of the B-24’s on 5 December reached Hawaii, where it was decided to hold it until “satis- factorily armed.” From the first there had been difficulty in securing and equipping the planes for the mission, and at the outbreak of hostilities the second plane had not yet left the United States.”
        That second plane was, of course, Ol’ Bag of Bolts which was apparently actually in the Caribbean. Anyway, I note the story says the radio operator brought a recorrected copy of Order No.163 out to the aircraft at Trinidad on 5 December. This might bear out my theory that Order No.163 was the direction to proceed to the Philippines and join #2371 for the photo mission, and perhaps the recorrected version directed the Bolts crew to proceed eastwards to the Philippines rather than west via the US and Hawaii.
        I don’t know for sure but, man, this story just gets more and more interesting!

  6. That sounds like a reasonable theory for Order 163. Order #265 was the Nov 26th order that directed the crews that would form both aircraft, to proceed to Sacramento Air Depot and then to “foreign service” (the mission). There is a major error in the “7 December 1941: The Air Force Story” – the plane (“71”) did not reach Hickam via Russia. It flew out of Hamilton Field (along with 76, who had to turn back). Might be a mixup of chronology as both planes having been on Ferry Command, those routes are plausible for them to have been on during their Ferry Command service. Faulkner’s service as far as I am aware, was for the North Atlantic run. Watkins (the pilot of 76) had been ferrying LB30’s to Canada. One of the planes (71) came into Sacramento Air Depot on Nov 27th. 76 came in from San Antonio to the Sacramento Air Depot on Dec 2nd. Not sure if Ted had flown 71 before or one of the other 9 B24A’s.

Leave a Reply to Hannah Cancel reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s